The use of ozone in food production has now reached farm level where it is used in poultry production. By dozing a limited amount of ozone into the production environment seems to keep down bacterial growth and possibly break down harmful gaseous compounds that are by-products in poultry production. It is also believed that animals utilize the feed better, are healthier and are less likely to become sick when ozone is used. Therefore less vaccines and drugs should be needed during the production which again means healthier products for the consumer.
Ozone is used in the poultry industry as air and water treatments for the storage, incubation of eggs and breeding of healthy birds.
Drinking water for poultry is an important dietary requirement. Under normal conditions, birds will consume, approximately, double the quantity as food on weight basis.
- E-coli and other bacteria are removed completely
- Ozonated water tastes better to poultry
- Accelerated weight gain by the broiler chicken and Improved egg laying output in chickens
- Ozone is more effective than other air disinfecting systems such as chemical fogging and UV light
- Increased dissolved oxygen level in water which helps the birds to tolerate heat
- Ozonated water is effective as a disinfectant for poultry carcasses without loss of colour and flavour
- No escalation in pathogen resistance
- Oxidizes dissolved minerals (iron, manganese, hydrogen sulphide etc)
- Reduces Biofilm formation due to TSS & TDS in Water.
Ozone oxidizes ammoniacal gases, methane and carbon dioxide, creating a healthier environment for the birds and the staff working in the poultry
Ozone is more effective than formaldehyde in disinfecting. Poultry sheds and requires no dormant period in which the sheds have to remain evacuated. Immediately after disinfection by ozone at high concentrations, the shed is ventilated and can be inhabited by the birds and staff safely. Unlike formaldehyde, ozone is non-carcinogenic.
Hatching hens which are kept under ozonized conditions show an increase in the amount of eggs they lay, and a stronger consistency of the egg shell, because of the corresponding decrease in pathogenic illness and prevention of a toxic build-up of disinfectant chemicals. Ozone is used to disinfect incubation rooms and chambers, in the place of chemicals which cause a toxic build-up on the egg shell surfaces and weaken the immune system of the birds.